Garlic Roasted Cabbage Steaks
These garlic roasted cabbage steaks are a hearty, delicious, easy-as-can-be dinner idea that’s perfect for a leisurely Saturday lunch or a busy weeknight meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 2 people
- 1 head cabbage sliced thickly
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or coconut oil)
- salt & pepper
Wash the head of cabbage and slice into 1/2" slices.
Pour olive oil and diced garlic in a small bowl, and brush it on the cabbage.
Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and put the cabbage in there.
It should roast for approximately 20 minutes on each side.
Once they're all nice and brown on the edges and top, you can flip them, and roast for another 20 minutes.
They will be finished when the garlic roasted cabbage will be nice and crisp on the outside, but still softer and juicy in the middle.
- Find a large, firm, green cabbage to start with. Depending on the one you get, you may need to peel a couple of unsavory layers before getting to cut it. The bigger the cabbage, the more you'll have left.
- It's important to use avocado oil or coconut oil because they have high smoke points. Using something like olive oil will get damaged when roasting for 40 minutes, causing oxidation and resulting in a trans fat that will cause free radical damage in your body. Olive oil is perfect for cold salads and dressings!
- Be sure to cut the slices as evenly as possible. If you cut some really thick and some thin, they won't cook the same and you'll and up having some over-done or under-done.