Healthy Berry Trifle
This healthy holiday trifle is a delicious, low sugar, gluten free, and dairy free holiday dessert.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed fruit
- 2 cup coconut whipped cream
Put the pecans, honey, cinnamon, and coconut oil in a food processor.
Mix until combined, using a spoon at the end to get everything off the sides and pressed together.
Layer the crumbs on the bottom of 4 dessert cups.
Scoop whipped cream on top of the crust crumbs. (Whipped cream directions below)
Layer frozen fruit on top of whipped cream.
Top with more whipped cream and add more crust crumbs on top as a garnish.
- Make sure the mixing bowl for the coconut whipped cream is ice cold. Put it in the freezer for an hour ahead of time to make sure that the whipped cream has the best chance of really whipping.
- Refrigerate the can of coconut cream overnight before making the whipped cream. The cream has to be really cold, otherwise it will just fall flat.
- Some people have success with only certain brands of coconut cream... I like to use the organic coconut cream from Thrive Market.
- If you're not avoiding dairy, regular whipping cream makes this an amazing dessert!
- My original recipe called for gluten free ladyfingers, but now I'm especially partial to these amazing gluten free vanilla wafers. They really add a great texture with the smooth cream and the frozen berries!
- Use organic frozen berries if possible. Berries are some of the highest sprayed crops with glyphosate, which you want to avoid if you can!
Serving: 1dessert cup | Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 448mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g