If stress was not already bad enough, the relentless struggle can actually wear out your adrenals. When this happens, you get something called “adrenal fatigue,” a particularly intrusive syndrome that saps you of vitality. If you think or know you have this condition, don’t wait to receive treatment. The longer the symptoms persist, the more your system gets compromised. Learn how treating adrenal fatigue with Chinese medicine can get your stress levels down and adrenal fatigue cured.
About Adrenal Fatigue
Though not an actual medical condition but a cluster of symptoms, adrenal fatigue happens when someone undergoes severe mental, physical, and emotional stress.
Since the adrenal glands make hormones, namely cortisol, the stress hormone, when they run non-stop, they can get tired out.
Symptoms of worn out adrenals include:
- Fertility trouble
- Trouble sleeping or constant fatigue
- Hormonal disorders
- Thyroid problems
- Digestive woes — hypoglycemia, cravings, IBS
- Chronic pain — like fibromyalgia
- Neurological disorders
- Headaches and migraines
- And more
Chinese medicine should actually be considered as complimentary to other forms of healing this syndrome, such as yoga or meditation.
Using Chinese Medicine for Treating Adrenal Fatigue
Though it may seem like hullabaloo to rely on old medicinal techniques, Chinese medicine is one of the few ways for treating adrenal fatigue directly.
In Chinese medicine, adrenal fatigue is directly related to the kidneys, a major player in your renal system.
Consequently, the adrenal glands are located above the kidneys and aid in proper functioning of these organs.
Chinese medicine traditionally treats this imbalance with Yin energy building herbs like Rehmannia root for a course of 60-120 days.
Following that, you drink a Yang tonic made of fenugreek with milk or tea; damiana tea mixed with cinnamon, dried ginger, and lemon; and ashwaganda, a bittersweet herb that improves sleep, mixed with milk.
It is also recommended to change your diet if your present lifestyle has you noshing on high-fat, high-salt foods and drinking too much alcohol; these are counterproductive when treating adrenal fatigue.
What herbs should I use?
While you may find it difficult to get all of the herbs below, you don’t really need all of them to do the job.
If you can find just 1 or 2 and use them regularly, you should be able to see a reduction in your adrenal fatigue symptoms.
The go to herbs in Chinese medicine to consider, include:
- Asparagus Root – Great for supporting the lung, kidneys and heart as well as calming the heart.
- Astragalus Root – Directly affecting your lungs and spleen, this root is a great way to improve your respiration.
- Chinese Cinnamon – Should be used in very small does, but great for your kidneys.
- Cistanche Stem – Said to improve your vitality and glandular function
- Codonopsis Root – Helps to nourish internal organs to function better. However Ginseng is a better alternative if you can find it.
- Dong Quai Root – Helps to detoxify the blood and also great for women in stabilizing menstrual cycles.
- Eucommia Bark – Used to loosen sore joints, especially useful for the lower back.
- Fo-ti Root (He Sho Wu) – Great for cleansing your cleansing organs (liver and kidneys).
- Ginseng Root – The active compounds here are called ginsenosides, which are useful for myocardial protection.
- Gynostemma Leaves – Wonderful anti-inflammatory which alone can help to reduce pressure and result a whole raft of positive benefits by itself.
- Jujube Dates – Can help to clear stuffy: eyes, throat, sinuses, ears and nose.
- Licorice Root – Powerful antioxidant
- Lycium Fruit – Known for their “double-directional immune modulating” influence.
- Morinda Root – Helps to boost your mood and improve your cognitive function.
- Rehmannia Root – Said to nourish your bone marrow which is source of many, many ailments.
- Reishi Mushroom – Can protect against bodily, immunological and mental strain; all of which are corrosive to the body.
- Rhiodiola Root – Can reduce the excretion of cortisol which can be dangerous to our wellbeing if too much.
- Schizandra Berries – Purifies the blood and aids in keeping a youthful appearance (when used in conjunction with a healthy diet).
As you begin to balance your diet and work on getting your adrenal glands replenished, there is another Chinese art that will provide relief.
Acupuncturists have been dealing with adrenal complications for years. Through this ancient practice, your adrenal glands can get direct relief and treatment.
One of the ways acupuncture works is by promoting healthier circulation to and around the kidneys and adrenal glands. Furthermore, acupuncture releases feel-good “endorphins,” which aid in soothing an overtaxed system.
Acupuncture does not need to be done daily. Once or twice a week is fine for treating adrenal fatigue.
As you begin to feel more energized throughout the day and notice your adrenal fatigue symptoms disappearing, you can eventually drop to 1 month maintenance sessions.
Don’t wait until your adrenal fatigue is too severe to do something about it.
Tackle the issue of overexerted adrenal glands now. Begin to fix your diet, and supplement your healthy food choices with ancient Chinese medicinal tonics.
Furthermore, don’t discredit the healing art of acupuncture, which will specifically target the potential source of your imbalance: the kidneys.