Salmon is an incredible nutritional powerhouse. It’s got loads of vitamin B12, vitamin D, selenium, vitamin B3, omega-3’s, & protein, all of which are essential for proper function of our bodies, especially when you’re healing from chronic illness. It allows for your brain to thrive, your bones and muscles to stay nourished, and helps support your heart to keep it strong. While salmon can be eaten many different ways, this salmon sandwich is sure to be a crowd pleaser for your family!
One of the things to be most vigilant about when buying salmon is knowing where the salmon came from. Wild caught salmon comes from cold water sources, lived in the ocean, and ate the proper foods to nourish its body. This is the only kind of salmon that you want to buy.
Unfortunately, farmed salmon is not only cheap in price, but in quality as well. They contain high amounts of mercury, pesticides, and antibiotics. They don’t eat healthy food, so their flesh is not a vibrant pink like it should be. This leads the farmers to feed them red dye to make them look healthier than they are.
When you’re looking for salmon, your best bet for pure, true wild caught salmon is Alaskan salmon, sockeye salmon, or chinook. This is because the term “wild caught” is often abused by marketers, and some fish were either caught young and then raised in farms, or are raised in farms, and let go into the wild just to be re-caught. So in order to get the best quality salmon and avoid the toxicity of farmed salmon, be careful of your source!
Blackened Salmon Sandwich
Blackened Salmon Sandwich
- 1 pound wild caught salmon fillet skinned
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons blackening or Cajun seasoning
- 1 small avocado pitted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 plum tomatoes thinly sliced
- ½ cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 gluten free sandwich buns
- Avocado oil for pan searing
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Rub salmon on both sides with blackening (or Cajun) seasoning and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Mash avocado and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Put salmon on top of sandwich bun and spread with avocado mayo.
- Add the rest of the toppings and enjoy!
There are so many great ways to make salmon once you have it, but this blackened salmon sandwich is one of my favorites!
This is a wonderful recipe for spring & summertime when easy sandwiches make perfect meals. I like to make the salmon ahead of time in bulk, and then store in the fridge. That way I have salmon ready for my sandwiches quickly!
What is your favorite way to eat salmon?