With spring in full force, this time of year is my favorite time for deep cleaning. Not only can you spring clean your body with the proper detoxing methods to help improve overall wellness, but you also need to take special care to focus on spring cleaning your lifestyle as well.
One of the biggest mistakes we make when we detox is we don’t stop taking in chemicals. If we don’t stop consuming artificial sweeteners, food dyes, neurotoxins like MSG and fluoride, and we continue to use toxic household cleaners, shampoos, and makeup, then our detoxing efforts are not making a lasting impact.
If our lifestyle is wearing out our liver, then no amount of detox will be enough to facilitate healing on its own. We have to look at what our bodies are absorbing.
Simple Ways for Spring Cleaning your Lifestyle:
• Switch to a clean diet: Avoid anything artificial or processed, and make things from scratch. This will not only help you to avoid countless chemicals in the typical processed foods, but eating real, whole foods will help your body to function better, allowing for a quicker detox of the chemicals you are taking in.
• Get a salt lamp or an indoor air purifier: The air in our homes can have up to 500 different chemicals in it that we breathe in every day! This is horrifying, considering that most of us spend up to 90% of our time indoors. If we are consistently breathing in these toxins, then we are never fully detoxing our body, and we will never achieve the level of health that we desire.
• Filter your water: We all know about the standard chlorine and pharmaceuticals found in our drinking water, but we don’t realize that they’re there along with 300 other chemicals. Many of these aren’t even regulated, but one thing that they do is build up in our body. Even fluoride, which we are told is good for our teeth, has been shown to be a harmful neurotoxin when consumed. The best thing you can do for your body (since we need so much water to survive) is to get a good, high quality water filter.
• Use natural cleaners: You can thoroughly clean your home with white vinegar, baking soda, or with essential oils such as Thieves household cleaner without adding chemicals to the mix. We have enough chemicals in our homes with our furniture, carpets, and clothing having toxins in them – we certainly don’t need to clean with them as well. Natural cleaners are a great alternative, and they do just as good of a job with cleaning, if not a better job than conventional cleaners.
Clean your home regularly: This one is one of the simplest tips, but it’s often overlooked. We need to be sure to keep our homes cleaned so that there is less buildup of dust, bacteria, and mold just looking to cause problems. Set a cleaning schedule that works for you, and stick with it!
• Download ThinkDirty: This is a free app in the app store that you can use to scan cosmetics and beauty products. So many of our cosmetics have harmful chemicals like parabens, lead, and more in them that are disrupting our endocrine systems and causing countless problems. This app is a great place to start when you’re figuring out what products can stay, and which ones need to go!
Even just making a few of these changes can help ease the burden on your liver and detox pathways. Combine these tips with the suggestions in the post on Spring Cleaning your Body, and you will be on the path to healing in no time!
What is one thing you know you need to do for spring cleaning your lifestyle?